Welcome to McPherson's Word Pub!
Funny name, huh? Well, because I'm
Scottish, (by the way, my name is Doug
McPherson) I figured I should open a
pub -- yep, you got it, a word pub and
serve up some premium drafts.
Before I opened the pub in 1999 I wanted to make darn sure I was up to the task. In college, I earned a master's degree in journalism. (I was the nerd who actually enjoyed term papers. As soon as the assignment left the professor's tongue, I was already crafting.) I then worked six years a public relations professional writing press releases, annual reports, brochures, public service announcements, video scripts, newsletters - if it needed words, I wrote it. Then I worked as an editor for a five years where I absorbed the finer points of writing and created content to stimulate readers salivation glands.
Since I opened the pub I've written well over a thousand articles for newspapers, magazines, trade publications, newsletters, websites, businesses, associations and nonprofits.
But despite all the experience, I think my most important offering is service. This is a business. I realize my customers are the reason I can do what I love for a living. And I NEVER take them or their requests for granted. A good bartender has to listen first with the ear of a world-class servant, then serve. I was born with an obsessive sense of attentiveness and urgency. Deadlines are sacred. I've never missed a single one and I've never asked for an extension. This goes over well with my clients.
Owner, McPherson’s Word Pub
“Serving Premium Drafts Since 1999”
As an award-winning editor, freelance writer and communications professional, Doug has published more than 1,300 articles in magazines, newspapers and newsletters with a focus on nonfiction that's easy to read and use. He started his own freelance writing business in 1999 and now serves many publications, businesses and nonprofits. The Writer magazine once included him in its Top Writers special edition.
To exceed clients' expectations as a freelance writer.
- Award-winning writer and editor with 24 years of professional experience writing, editing, researching and planning editorial content.
- Published more than 1,300 magazine, newspaper and newsletter articles.
- Published press releases, annual reports, videos, speeches and marketing plans.
- Won of these awards: Distinguished Service Award, Colorado Association of Realtors; National Innovation Award for Creativity, Junior Achievement, Inc.; and Outstanding College Student of America.
Owner and Writer, McPherson's Word Pub, 1999 - Present
Write news and feature articles, video scripts, speeches, website content, advertising, press releases, brochures and newsletters for businesses and nonprofits.
America Online Boulder County Business Report Coors Brewing Company
Denver Business Journal Denver Newspaper Agency Executive Update Magazine
Johns Manville Corporation Junior Achievement Inc. (national headquarters)
Junior Achievement International (headquarters) Metro State University of Denver
Response Magazine The Denver Post The Writer Magazine University of Colorado
University of Denver
Editor, Colorado Realtor News, 1994 - 1999
Served as editor of an award-winning, four-color publication with an 18,000 circulation. Planned, researched, wrote, edited and proofed articles. Conducted interviews, provided photography and determined the news value of press releases. Supervised writers and designers.
- Reduced $30,000 deficit to zero making newspaper break-even for the first time in history.
- Produced 44 consecutive issues without missing a single deadline.
- Assisted in creating organization's Web site.
- Won a distinguished service award (one of only four staff members in organization's 81-year history to win this).
Public Relations Manager and Writer, Junior Achievement, 1988 - 1994
Supported organization's 237 franchises with writing, public relations training and planning. Wrote press releases, public service announcements, scripts, brochures and newsletters. Planned special events and publicized organization's news nationally.
- Authored 70-page how-to booklet on public relations.
- Published in Public Relations Quarterly, The Non-Profit Times, World Traveler, Communications Briefings and the Ragan Report.
- Wrote video vignettes for Lee Iacocca, Katharine Graham and other business leaders.
Sports Writer, Murray State News, 1986- 1988
Published stories and handled general production.
M.S. in journalism, Murray State University, 1988.